We teach Read Write Inc through Phonics and English lessons. It is a very lively and vigorousprogramme of teaching reading. We are very serious and passionate about getting every child to read. It is our aim that every child can read confidently using taught strategies for reading (decoding) and at the same time develop handwriting skills and spelling (encoding). We have a new set of exciting Storybooks and Non-fiction with words that children can decode based on their learning. The more sounds the children know, the greater the range of texts they can read. Since we have started this term the Headteacher, Mr Baxter, has worked alongside every child in the whole school to assess their knowledge and application of sounds. This is to ensure that the trained adults in school can pitch their teaching at the correct level to small groups of similar ability children. Mr Baxter visits the English lessons across the whole school on a weekly basis to ensure that the teaching is consistently good and that all children are on task and enjoying the learning.
When using Read Write Inc to read the children will:
Using Read Write Inc, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using ‘Fred Talk’
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using Read Write Inc to write the children will:
The programme is intensive and cumulative, so poor attendance would severely disrupt a child’s progress. The most important aspect of reading at school and at home is to enjoy sharing a book together, discussing the context and vocabulary around the text. Reading must be seen as a pleasure rather than a chore or negative experience.
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
- compose stories based on picture strips
- compose a range of stories based on writing frames